Statutory Minimum Wage
Statutory Minimum Wage (SMW) has come into force since 1 May 2011. With effect from 1 May 2019, the SMW rate is raised to $37.5 per hour. Concurrently, the monetary cap on the requirement of employers keeping records of the total number of hours worked by employees is also revised to $15,300 per month.
Guidelines and Calculator on Statutory Minimum Wage
- Guidelines on Statutory Minimum Wage (including Statutory Minimum Wage: latest revision; Concise Guide to Statutory Minimum Wage; Statutory Minimum Wage: Reference Guidelines for Employers and Employees; and Statutory Minimum Wage: Industry-specific Reference Guidelines)
- Minimum Wage Reference Calculator
- Frequently Asked Questions on Statutory Minimum Wage
Student interns and work experience students during a period of exempt student employment:
Unless otherwise specified, Minimum Wage Ordinance applies to every employee, his employer and the contract of employment under which he is engaged.
Exemption from SMW is provided for student interns and work experience students. For details, please click here or refer to the relevant information (including Statutory Minimum Wage: Notes for Student Employees and Employers and specimens of relevant documents
Employees with disabilities:
Employees with disabilities enjoy the same protection but they also have the right to invoke productivity assessment to determine whether they should be remunerated at not lower than the SMW rate or at a rate commensurate with their productivity. For details, please click here or refer to the relevant information (including Concise Guide to Productivity Assessment for Employees with Disabilities under the Statutory Minimum Wage Regime; Support Kits on Productivity Assessment for Employees with Disabilities under the Statutory Minimum Wage Regime; Revision of Statutory Minimum Wage Rate: Notes for Employees with Disabilities and Employers; and Article titled "Statutory Minimum Wage-Rights of Employees with Disabilities and Productivity Assessment").
Minimum Wage Ordinance, Chapter 608 :
Online interactive games on Statutory Minimum Wage:
(It is recommended accessing the interactive games using the latest version of Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari. The interactive games may encounter problems using other browsers.)
|Statutory Minimum Wage Toy Store
Theme: Coverage of the Minimum Wage Ordinance
Theme: Exemption arrangements for specified student interns and work experience students
TV Announcements relating to Statutory Minimum Wage:
Radio Announcements relating to Statutory Minimum Wage:
Minimum Wage Commission:
- The Minimum Wage Commission is an independent statutory body established under Part 3 of the Minimum Wage Ordinance.
- Reports of the Minimum Wage Commission
- Reports of studies conducted by Consultant commissioned by the Government