Skip Content

Working Holiday Scheme

To provide an opportunity for young people in Hong Kong to gain first-hand experience living and working in a foreign culture and widen their horizons, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) has established bilateral Working Holiday Scheme (the Scheme) with the Government of New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, Germany, Japan, Canada, Korea, France, the United Kingdom, Austria, Hungary, Sweden, the Netherlands and Italy respectively. Apart from facilitating cultural exchanges between Hong Kong and our partner economies, the Scheme also enhances bilateral cooperation and promotes tourism and development between the two places.

Under the Scheme, participants may stay in the host economy for an extended period. They are also allowed to take up short-term employment as an incidental aspect of their stay, or even enrol in short-term course(s) (except Ireland) so as to acquire a better understanding of the cultural and social developments of the host economy. The Scheme aims to enable young people to gain invaluable experience while holidaying and working abroad, which would help strengthen their self-confidence, resilience and inter-personal skills.

According to the bilateral arrangements, each side may provide a fixed annual quota for eligible applicants of the other side.

For detailed eligibility criteria of individual working holiday scheme, please refer to the Working Holiday Scheme website and updates from the respective host Governments and Consulates. Hong Kong applicants may approach the relevant Consulates for application forms and enquiries about details of the Scheme. Applicants are reminded that the eligibility criteria, and terms and conditions of individual working holiday scheme are subject to review and change by the host Government without prior notice. Applicants are advised to check with the Consulate before application.

Working Holiday Scheme participants are reminded to take out appropriate insurance policies and plan ahead before departure. They must stay vigilant while travelling abroad, always observe local laws and be cautious in dealing with the terms and conditions laid down in employment contracts to protect themselves. In case of accidents or serious incidents during their stay in the partner economies, they should immediately approach the local government authorities for assistance. They may also approach the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate, or call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit of the Immigration Department on (852) 1868.

While Hong Kong youths can go overseas for working holiday, youths of our partner economies can also come to Hong Kong for holidaying under the Scheme by applying to the respective Chinese Embassies or Consulates-General, and the Immigration Department of the HKSAR.

Working Holiday Scheme