Work Incentive Transport Subsidy Scheme
The Work Incentive Transport Subsidy (WITS) Scheme helps low-income earners reduce their cost of travelling to and from work and encourages them to secure or stay in employment.
How to Apply
- Applicants may apply for WITS for the previous 6 to 12 months in each application. WITS is granted according to the calendar month and applicants will receive the subsidy for each eligible month.
- Applicants can choose between individual-based or household-based application upon first application or re-application every 6 to 12 months. Applicants of the same household can opt for:
||each applicant to be assessed individually; or
||all applicants and household members to be assessed together as a household.
- For the convenience of applicants, applications
can be submitted by post and WITS is paid through bank transfer.
- Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- being employed or self-employed, and lawfully employable in Hong Kong;
- incurring travelling expenses in commuting to and from work;
- meeting the monthly income and asset limits (please refer to Appendix); and
- working no less than 72 hours per month (if applying for full-rate subsidy of $600 per month) or working less than 72 hours but at least 36 hours per month (if applying for half-rate subsidy of $300 per month).
- Applicants will not concurrently receive other similar employment-related transport subsidies provided by the Government including:
- Temporary Financial Aid for travelling expenses to and from work under the employment assistance projects and special grants covering travelling expenses to and from work for the elderly, persons in ill-health and those disabled provided under the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance Scheme;
- Temporary Financial Aid for travelling expenses to and from work under the case management and employment support services of Labour Department Employment in One-stop;
- On-the-job Transport Allowance under the Transport Support Scheme.
- Full-time students and trainees not in employment are not eligible for WITS.
Deadline for Application
The maximum claim period is the preceding 12 months. For example, application for subsidy starting from January 2013 should be submitted on or before 31 January 2014; that for subsidy starting from February 2013 should be submitted by 28 February 2014, and so on. Overdue claim months will not be granted subsidy.
Individual-based applicants should submit Individual Application Form. Household-based applicants should submit one Household Application Form for each household.
Distribution Points of Application Documents
Submission of Application
- By post (P.O. Box 98877, Tsim Sha Tsui Post Office, Kowloon) or by hand to the WITS Division of the Labour Department; or
- Through the Application Drop-in Boxes at the Job Centres or Headquarters of the Labour Department.
Addresses and Service Hours of the Labour Department’s WITS Division and Headquarters
G/F, Middle Road Multi-storey Carpark Building, 15 Middle Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
(Exit L1 of MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station, or Exit K of East Tsim Sha
Monday to Friday
(9:00a.m. – 6:15p.m.)
Closed on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays
Labour Department’s Headquarters
(with Application Drop-in Box)
17/F, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Road, Central, Hong Kong
24-hour Enquiry Hotline : 2717 1771 (handled by “1823”)
Frequently Asked Questions
Leaflets of the WITS Scheme
TV and Radio Announcements on the WITS Scheme
Recent Press Releases